Conditions Covered by the World Trade Center Victim Compensation Fund
Were you a victim of toxic dust exposure at the site of the former World Trade Center, Pentagon, or the plane crash site in Shanksville, Pennsylvania? If so, you may be eligible for compensation, medical monitoring, and coordination of care at no cost to you.
The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) provides payouts to those with a qualifying condition based on a complex model. It considers your location after the terrorist attacks and how long you spent there among several other criteria before determining your VCF award. You need not have been present at one of the toxic exposure site on September 11, 2001 in most cases.
Before we can register you with VCF and receive compensation, we must first get you registered with the World Trade Center Health Program to receive certification for your qualifying condition. Gregory Cannata & Associates have helped victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks claim their rightful compensation since the first Victim Compensation Fund launched for the first time in 2001.
We welcome you to work with us to determine your qualification and then help you apply to both the WTC Health Program and the VCF. We have heard from other 9/11 victims that the process can be long, complex, and frustrating and that working with an experienced VCF attorney makes it far less stressful.
Not only that, having access to expert legal guidance increases the likelihood of claim acceptance and helps to avoid unnecessary delays. With several new conditions added in 2019, you can apply to the VCF even if you have received a previous denial.
Please contact Gregory Cannata & Associates today at 1-888-WTC-VICTIM or complete a contact request form on our website.
Covered Conditions According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
It would be impossible for us to list all the hundreds of health conditions covered by the VCF in this space. Instead, we will provide an overview of the categories of health conditions that qualify you to apply to both programs. Remember that surviving family members of those who died due to toxic exposure at any of the clean-up sites are also eligible for compensation. The categories of covered conditions include:
Acute traumatic injury
While most conditions only cover illness, revisions to the VCF over the years have allowed administrators to include specific injuries as well. These are burns, complex sprains, eye injuries, fractures, head or brain trauma, and tendon tears.
This category includes more than a dozen health conditions triggered by toxic exposure. Some of the most common ones are asthma, GERD, and sleep apnea.
The CDC indicates that the Victim Compensation Fund covers more than 75 types of cancer. Each category has dozens of sub-categories of its own. One exception is childhood cancers diagnosed in any person under 20 years of age. The fund covers any type of cancer in that case. Although not as common as cancer among first responders, some children who attended school or daycare in the area did later develop cancer. Other broad categories of cancer coverage include:
- Blood and lymphoid tissue to include diffuse non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, follicular/nodular non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, leukemia, malignant immunoproliferative diseases, multiple myeloma, malignant neoplasms of plasma cells, other unspecified types of hematopoietic or lymphoid tissue, unspecified types of Hodgkin's lymphoma, and cutaneous and peripheral T-cell lymphoma
- Digestive system to include colon, esophagus, intrahepatic bile duct and liver, other unspecified digestive organs, rectoperitoneum and peritoneum, and stomach
- Eye and orbit: This includes all cancers of the eye and adnexa
- Female breast cancer
- Female reproductive organ to include only ovarian cancer
- Head and neck: These types of cancer include accessory sinuses, base of tongue, floor of mouth, gum, hypopharynx, larynx, lip, nasopharynx, unspecified cancers of the pharynx, lip, and oral cavity, unspecified cancers of the major salivary glands, unspecified cancers of the mouth, unspecified cancers of the tongue, oropharynx, palate, parotid gland, piriform sinus, and tonsil
- Respiratory system: These cancers include bronchial and lung, heart, mediastinum, and pleura, and unspecified sites of the intrathoracic and respiratory systems
- Rare cancers: By definition, this includes any type of cancer diagnosed in 15 or fewer of every 100,000 people each year
- Skin cancer to include both melanoma and non-melanoma: malignant melanoma, unspecified malignant skin neoplasms
- Soft tissue: Miscellaneous connective and soft tissue, autonomic nervous system, and peripheral nerves
- Urinary system: Bladder, kidney, unspecified urinary organs, prostate, renal pelvis, and ureter
Mental health conditions
These include acute stress disorder, adjustment disorder, anxiety disorder, depression, dysthymic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and substance abuse.
This classification is only available to World Trade Center first responders who sustained injuries on the job and received treatment for their injuries prior to September 11, 2003.
Start Your Claim Today
You gave a lot to your country by sacrificing your health or even the life of a loved one to get us back on our feet after the devastating terrorist attacks that happened nearly two decades ago.
Although you may not be able to regain your health and nothing can bring back a lost loved one, we hope that a VCF payout will help ease your burdens as much as possible.
It's your turn now to receive the compensation the country owes you for that sacrifice. Please contact Gregory Cannata & Associates today at 1-888-WTC-VICTIM to schedule your free initial consultation. We will explain both the World Trade Center Health Program and Victim Compensation Fund in more detail during your appointment.
Our attorneys offer their services to you on a contingency basis. That means you don't pay a single penny upfront. We receive reimbursement for our legal services when your claim settles and we take a set percentage based on our legal contract with you. Contact us today to start your claim.
Speak with a VCF Lawyer Today
Fill in the form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Our Senior Attorneys
Our experienced VCF lawyers provide aggressive, compassionate representation to those with illnesses from the events of 9/11
Our experience and approach to client representation and assessment of injuries lead to excellent results.
for a stockbroker with respiratory illness and economic loss
for a police officer with respiratory illness and economic loss
for an investigator with respiratory illness and economic loss
for a union construction worker with respiratory illness and economic loss
for the family of a police officer who died from throat cancer
for an office worker with cancer (basal & squamous) and economic loss
for the family of cleaning person who died from cancer (lymphoma)